Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
November 1st
John
Thank you, Emi replies. She starts to say something more, but then quiets, seeming to want to keep it to herself. You’ll be okay, John. Harbinger likes you.
You know, you can tell me that it’s a crazy idea, too, John offers—hoping he is guessing right about Emi’s concerns and it has nothing to do with Grayson. It is, after all. I’ve had to face this kind of threat before but that doesn’t mean we should all try to be blasé about it.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
The angel lets out a deep sigh as he stops in front of the mage. He seems to take a moment to compose himself before he says, “John, what the hell are you thinking?” His voice is low, intense, but not angry. “You want to summon another Greater Demon? How? Obviously you’re not going to sacrifice people to do it.”

“Wait,” he continues, holding up a hand. “Before you tell me that, I want you explain to me why you think opening your mind to two other, more powerful, Greater Demons is a good idea.”
“It isn’t a good idea,” John replied quietly. “But it may be a necessary one. We have to assume that Vibrato’s recent run on jewelry stores have permitted her to successfully obtain enough Stones of Vanuusha that our enemies are getting close to the point they can consider moving towards implementing the kind of vision you shared with me. The sacrifice of a greater demon, when conducted properly, could bridge the gap opened by more than one of the Stones.

“We already know blood sacrifice is part of their plan and Jerek appears to be willing to reveal the True Names of his family to advance himself. It appears he was willing to have his brother summoned to serve the Empire as a source of ichor for Nova and Zylas is worried for his sisters. The older sister, Lazka, is under contract somewhere—Dr. Riviera believes she knows the person who holds her contract. Vrel is currently unaccounted for following the fall of her House.”

John took a deep breath. “Right now, the only plan I can come up with is to deprive the Empire and the Greater Demon of Urvaan-et that has possessed Stella’s brother.”

Spoiler: Bennies and Cards to reach two raises
Show
Knowledge (Occult) for the totally a good idea summoning: 1d12o12+2 9 1d6o6+2 6
One Bennie Spent!
Knowledge (Occult) for the totally a good idea summoning reroll: 1d12o12+2 10 1d6o6+2 4
John plays Inspiration: Friendly characters (including your hero) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.
Total: 12

“As to the how, I intend to create a modified summoning ring that will use some of Zylas’ ichor in place of Vrel’s True Name. Since he reservoir will have to be made of electrum, since the alchemical gold will not bind with the ichor. It will bind to the electrum and the electrum will bind to the ichor, forging the link I would need for my spells to take hold.

“I’ll also inscribe an outer ring of the summoning circle with the Frère et Sœur variation of the Blood Magic spell Ligures de Liaison to lock the spell to filter Jerek out of the summoning. While that spell is active, I will use an Enochian version of Innocentium Clama to focus on Vrel.

“I’ll have to scribe out things on the fly to account for any surprises but that really isn’t anything new.”

“As you noted, however, that will still leave a window open for Jerek and Lazka to lash out at me but, without her True Name, I have not been able to come up with a solution to that beyond preparing myself for that eventuality that does not involve allowing Zylas to participate in the casting.” John regarded Harbinger seriously. “And while I will concede I have come to like him, I do not like him enough to run the risks that asking him to take part would involve.”

John looked down, trying to hide some of his Catholic guilt and frustration at not having developed a better plan. “If it makes you feel any better, I don’t like the thought of doing this either. I just don’t see any way around it if we want to avoid the possible future you saw coming to pass.”