November 8th
Providence
Emi looks Kate in the eye after she makes the observation about Grayson getting rides in her Porsche, the gives her a small nod to let her know that her speculation is correct.

Kate notices just a flicker of something like regret cross Emi’s features before she carefully masks it. “It’s always been complicated between us,” she admits. “When I met him, he could barely say two words to anyone, his anxiety was so bad. Over the last two years that I’ve known him, he’s come so far. But he could never work up the courage to say anything about his feelings to me.”

After a moment, she looks over at Kate and holds her gaze, then seems to make a decision to continue. “I won’t lie and say that I don’t have a soft spot for him,” she says quietly. “Or… that I wouldn’t have said yes if he did finally ask, before I started dating John.”

“It has been… difficult, trying to find the right balance between the two of them. I feel horrible pulling away from Grayson, when I know that I am one of his only friends, but I know that me spending time with him stresses John. Your brother has been nothing but kind to Grayson through. And Grayson understands that the two of us are just friends.”