Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
November 2nd
Keith
“Well,” Aeryn says, moving hand to the back of his neck, “Kenzie tries to start fights with Drake. She doesn’t think he should be the Team Lead. She thinks he’s made too many mistakes and she thinks that she would be a better Team Lead, especially after Yuki almost…” he trails off, closing his eyes for a moment.

He glances back up at Keith. “She didn’t agree with him letting Ryker on the team either. I don’t think she’ll ever get over either of those decisions. But I know that what happened to Yuki was never something he meant to happen. He couldn’t have know what they were going to find when he sent them scouting.”

“And Ryker… he’s not a bad guy. Kenzie doesn’t believe it though.”

The alien floats for a moment, thinking about what Keith said. “I think you’re right. Louis wouldn’t try to attack you or anything. I understand what he’s saying though. I guess no one told him about what John was doing, so he feels…” he thinks for a moment on the phrase, “Out of the hoop?”

“This Rin lady,” he says quietly. “She’s the one that caused that guys head to… crush itself, right? How do you think she did that?”

“I’m not gonna lie, she seems really scary,” Aeryn admits.
Keith tilts his head as Aeryn starts talking about Kenzie thinking she should be the team lead, and looks at the ground when he brings back up how Yuki had almost died on Drake's watch. He shuddered for a moment and nodded.

With the mention of Ryker being added to the team, Keith shakes his head. He didn’t agree with Kenzie’s assessment at all, and that made him slightly more angry. Even the idea that no one should make mistakes. Even veteran heroes make mistakes and it costs lives.

“It’s not like Drake can see the future, and scouting is hard enough when you think you know what to expect as well.” Keith grimaced. “And even veteran heroes get caught like that. It’s not a mistake sendin’ in the ones best at stealth or recon. Can’t know everything. I should know that one.” He huffed a laugh.

“As for Ryker, no. He ain’t a bad guy and given the right circumstances, I would have been on the other side just like he was. There was every chance I could have joined Ozul had he not…..” Keith stopped and took a steadying breath. “Some get stuck in their thoughts of how others were. People can change.”

He looks up at Aeryn when he mentioned Louis not attacking him and thought for a moment as his friend continued his thoughts. It made sense. Louis is the team lead on paper for West Side. Of course he would feel snubbed in not knowing John’s plan. Keith barely even knew about it either, and it was just being in the right place at the right time.

“Yeah…. Think next trainin’ session may be a bit rough. Or I get asked to leave but I have a feelin’ you’re right.” Keith chuckles a bit. “Close enough. Since he is the team lead on paper, makes more sense he would be upset not knowing that. He’ll probably forgive John far sooner though.” He cracks a forced smile.

“Yeah, Rin is the one that did that. No one in our family that we know of has powers like that. It’s always been shadowmancy and void magic.” Keith shook his head and rubbed the back of his neck. “Honestly, if she’s the one working with demons, I think it could be a deal she made. If I knew who her other family was, or even had a background on that, I could maybe narrow it down or pass it to uncle.”

Keith looks up at Aeryn, fear in his eyes. “She terrifies me. I don’t know if it’s because she’s an entirely unknown variable in this war or if it’s because she may actually be related to me. IT’s…. horrifying.”