Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
November 8th
Providence
Since he’s so in tune with her, John feels a bit of warmth from Emi as her feelings of acceptance spill out before she can completely control it as they start into breakfast.

She lets the Kelleys talk through all of their plans with a small smile on her face.
Satisfied with their basic plans and more than satisfied with Joe’s pancakes, Mary dabbed the coroners of her mouth with a napkin as Kate came to the end of her retelling of last night’s events. While the plans would need revision and refinement, of course, but she had Joe to help with that. He was really quite good at making sure steps weren’t skipped.

“And,” Kate said trying to contain her laughter, “when he looked up, he took on the appearance of a fish out of water—his eyes wide and unblinking and his mouth working!”

She leaned back from the table, imitating her older brother’s stunned expression for a moment before breaking into laughter.

“Do I really look that absurd?” John asked Emi after the initial laughter died down, his smile attempting to mask his insecurities and he blushed furiously.

“It was pretty close,” Stephen observed.

“I hope not,” Joe observed, remembering a particular date when Mary descended the stairs at her parent’s house in a form fitting, black sheath dress. “Because I’m pretty sure I have worn that expression more than once.”

“You have,” Mary replied with a pleased smile.

“It might have been worse,” Kate observed, leaning over and planting a kiss on her brother’s cheek. “What do you think, Emi?”

“Well, she said, setting down the napkin after Emi replied and trying to keep her emotions marginally in check. Letting her children go out into the world never got easier. “It’s time we got Stephen to school and for me to finally satisfy the curiosity of my administrative assistant.

“It’s been a delight, Emi,” she said. “You’re every bit as wonderful as John told us you were.”

“Maybe a little more,” Joe observed with a smile.

Mary smiled at her husband before turning to John. “Treat her well, Jonathan Michael Kelley.”

While her tone hinted at the playfulness she used when she told her eldest son not to use magic when making the salad, she was also in earnest.

“Of course, Mom,” he replied as he rose in anticipation for her departure.

“I enjoyed playing for you, Emi,” Stephen added as he got up and shouldered his backpack. “I have some classical pieces in my repertoire, if you ever want to bring your violin along.”

“Stay safe, son,” Mary said as she hugged her son and kissed him on the cheek, “and try not to embarrass him too much,” she added giving Kate a kiss on the cheek before approaching Emi.

“You stay safe, too, Emi,” she said, giving her a hug and kiss on the cheek similar to the one she gave John.

“I’ll see you later tonight, Joe,” she said as she gave him a kiss on the way out.”

Mary didn’t look back. She didn’t like her children seeing her tear up—whether they were biological. like John, or claimed, like Emi.