1. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Legacy of Fire: Howl of the Carrion King [IC]

"I, however, have questions," says Alahazra. "Khair has performed as excellent an unbiased investigation as could be performed, but I know that the truth hides in the shadow while mysteries love to tantalize."

She bows her head to Khair, though it is difficult to divine the meaning of the bow. "Garavel, you directed us to investigate, but what are your feelings on this matter?"

Garavel, "I have strong suspicions, but it would be wrong of me to voice them, since you have brought back testimony."

"Go ahead, Garavel," coaxes Lady Almah.

Garavel clears his throat and sighs. "I've never trusted Dashki, and if anyone in the group were revealed as an arsonist and murderer, Dashki would be least surprising to me."

"Maybe not for this investigation, but it tells me much nonetheless," says Alahazra. She then looks to Lady Almah. "Dashki is obviously obsessed with you, for he was spying upon you when the fire began. He is innocent of crime, but not of discretion or judgment. What can you tell me of Eloais, if only to give us more insight into the man?"

Almah begins, "I hired Eloais in Solku about a month ago to read cards for me -- I haven't visited the lands of my ancestors, but having a harrower at my side felt 'right.'" Here she seems a little reticent before continuing. "I'm honestly not convinced the fire was arson, actually, but I had hoped that if it was, you could find out quickly." She adds bitterly, "How would you feel if one of your friends was burned to death?"

She grows more thoughtful, "I didn't realize Dashki was obsessed with me. I didn't have a romantic relationship with Eloais, if that's where any of this questioning lies, but I did spend a lot of time with the Varisian -- which could have made Dashki jealous."

Little Trevorn gives Almah both a jump when they comes forward and a smile, for the adorable little cactus-person is both disturbing and disarming. "Lady Almah, can you tell us anything else - even if it is just a feeling, suspicion, or instinct ... not just about the fire, but Eloais or his interactions with you? Something he may have done or said that may point to something .... a little off?"

As Trevorn speaks, Alahazra puts a slightly singed Harrow card onto an ottoman ... face down.

Lady Almah looks to the two - Alahazra and Trevorn and slowly nods. "Eloais' readings had grown increasingly grim, and his last reading centered on an auspicious card, the Cyclonek portending death by fire and schemes by powerful evil."

At that, Alahazra turns over the Cyclone for all to see, much to the gasp and amazement of everyone around. "I wonder," voices Alahazra, "if it is less about a fire tonight, and more about our destination Kelmarane."

Almah admits, "Yes, I asked the same about that card and Kelmarane. He told me that it was, but that the village is only a small part of something much larger ... something he called the 'Legacy of Fire.' Alas, I am not sure what he meant by 'Legacy of Fire."

"Ha!" barks Alain. "So, the oracle would try to scare us into believing that we are being haunted by some powerful force of fate that terrifies fortune tellers and witches. Why not believe in pugwampis as well?! Ridiculous."

"What's a pugwampi?" asks Almah.

"If it pleases the Lady Almah..." says Onyebuchi apologetically for speaking to someone so far above his station. He continues with a nod from Almah, "Dashki mentioned pugwampis as a possible cause. Not because he saw them, but because of common superstition among caravan guards. It sounds to me like some sort of 'road gremlin' that causes havoc. Maybe they're real?"

Alahazra follows onto this, "Even if they are not, the gods work their will through agents, and not through divine intercession ... at least not without a greater effect than we've seen. I could have believed a simple and unfortunate accident were it not for the weave of fate so heavily pressing upon this matter .... which means that if fate decreed the burning of Eloais' wagon, it is more likely that such heavy-handedness would come from an intermediary and not simple accident. Be pugwampis real or no, perhaps there is an unknown party nearby that plays just such a part."

Almah smiles at Alahazra. “If my expert is correct,” she says, “the hills around here should be crawling with these pugwampis - what we'll call our unknown messengers of Fate, or at least some sign of their passage. If what Dashki says is true, it should be easy for him to find one and bring it back to me.”

She then turns to Khair and the others. “As he is, however, our best suspect in this affair, it would not do to send him out into the darkness alone. I’m afraid that your investigation is not yet at and end. Go out into the desert with Dashki and find me one of these pugwampis, such as we name our unknown aggressor. I will accept nothing short of a captured one or its carcass, not just tales of strange signs."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2023-08-07 at 01:30 PM.
    18MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Towns of the Inner Sea (2013, Bauer, Bonner, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: 02-07 JUN 2024.
    kvard51: 06-17 JUN 2024.