Quote Originally Posted by mmdeforrest View Post
“Not so much a last stand as an extraction mission to free Yuki and Drake,” John replied quietly as he watched Drake turn the corner. Whatever might have changed with him, he thought as he dropped his voice, Keith’s timing continued as it had been. “They were captured by Prismatic and his siblings. Luster was more gentle with Yuki than her older brother was with Drake.”

He turned to Kieth as his brow furrowed. “I’m surprised to hear that about Nextephua. She isn’t usually like that, from what I have read — although my sources may be unreliable. As much as I respect the work of the Mother Church, some of her missionaries and visionaries’ points of view can color things. It could also be that you encountered one of her minions or a spirit of the Wastes who had not made his way to the afterlife and had grown bitter.”

He shook his head.

“But, yes — I could use a little extra sleep. All of us have been pushing ourselves hard since the demonic incursion started. Unlike you and Raphael, that’ll wear on me if I’m not careful.

“We can catch up a little later,” he said, resting a hand on Keith’s shoulder. “I’m glad you made it back safe and sound.”
Keith nodded as John explained a bit. A sigh left him as he thought about everything Seraph told him in the wee morning hours over what would have been more food than anyone should have eaten in a sitting. "Seraph told me the full details," he replied quietly. "And let me watch some of the footage too. I'll talk with him about it later, but I wanna get the main one. There's some payback needed."

A tinge of darkness crept into the sclera of his eyes. He could feel what reminded him of White's influence there, but it was different this time. More.... him.

Then he tilted his head and raised an eyebrow. "Wait, she? Then..... that was a male's voice.... who in the seven hells is passing themselves off as her?" Something was definitely amiss from this revelation. He knew he heard a male's voice respond to him in the Wastes during the ash storm. "I suppose I owe her an apology now. An offering will go out later." He shook his head.

At John's reminder of needing rest, and not being able to survive on as little sleep as some of the others, he nodded. "Especially with the recent trick. Rest well, brother. And, I'm glad to be back, would still be wandering if not for your quick thinking too."

"I'll be in the gym a bit, and catching up with Aeryn some. Think he may have some advice on balancing a few things." He smirked a bit. "And I promise not to eat everything in the kitchen."