Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
Go away, Ox, and take your silly blue goat along too! But, more seriously, hm, interesting find, and I quite in tune with the other instances of missed-updates-in-late-3.0-books theme we have running with Death Dogs and whatnot.
I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a camel. Look up Baphomet. Him and the big guy are eerie. Note the skinny legs. The Carbuncle matches the art, but doesn't have the kick butt powers that it does in GDGU. The Froghemoth and the Flumphs are there, but the art doesn't match. My instinct is that there must be at least one more book he's using, with Hordlings in it, and maybe a stronger Carbuncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
Someone refresh my memory: was this version a thing in previous editions, then?
It does make sense that Tome of Horrors would be more faithful to the original art than WotC, for obvious reasons. For some reason I haven't gotten off my butt to look up the original monster manuals these monsters were in. Even if I did, I'd probably suspect that Tome of Horrors is more believable as a convenient source for Rich than Rich reminiscing perfectly about a bunch of old monster manuals. But I don't know and I'm very grateful to you for looking at it with me.