Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
Honestly I don't really care, I prefer the divine to stay very much in their place but what matters in the game is how it relates to Gale's character arc. Which is that he ****ed up his life trying to impress an ex in a very questionable relationship, but gets told everything will be fine and she'll accept him again if he abandons the new life as an adventurer he's just started to build. Mystra is honestly as good as anybody for that role.

Honestly Gale's probably the only Origin companion with a mostly nonpolitical storyline, it's more about whether his need for acceptance drives him towards people who might destroy his life. I just find it a shame that it ended up attached to Ed Greenwood Jnr.

(No, I'm not going to discuss the other characters' storylines, I don't see them as board appropriate.)
How about the romance he has for Mystra is an analogy for his thirst for Knowledge for Knowledge's sake. Or its a love of magic for magic's sake.

High wizardry like Elminster and Gale practiced is like doing high research. Its studying the realm of possibility, and the infinite ways the Weave can be made into magnificience. "To be loved by Mystra" can be a literal thing, but it also can mean being "in the zone" when pushing his research. Its about weaving the greatest and best of magic, this is being within Mystra's embrace.

Gale sinned badly against this ideal. He's literally a Mad Scientist who went Too Far, trying to recreate the one moment in history where Magic Failed, thinking it was an act of love. Again, see it as a scientist trying to recreate the Alpha-Omega Bomb purely for the "intellectual exercise". Said scientist may not have the ill intent, but he ignored the wisdom of his contemporaries and went ahead with his selfish pursuit of recreating the most destructive aspect of what he loves.

He is left with a choice. He can decides that Mystra's love is more important than his life (i.e. did he actually create this bomb only for Knowledge Sake?), or he can decides to spurn his back on Magic for Magic's sake (Mystra) and instead seek to remake the world as he sees fit.

Anyway, thats how ive always read these godly interactions. Because if it really only means that he f***ed Mystra, its a lot less interesting.