Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
Ok, before making it final, I did think of an alternative I'd like to float by you. Sieghard's got a fair bit of experience banked and has the minimum requirements to be done with Captain. While Charm is the priority skill at the moment, I would prefer switching him to a new career and giving him room to grow a bit more over just buying it as an elite advance if that's an option. The issue I'm running into with that is the exits from his current and previous careers that offer it don't really fit the character (it's rather hard to envision him as a Duelist or Merchant for example). Basic careers are on the table, though many of those run into the same issue and also raise further questions on the direction he'd go in the future.

If you'd be willing to go outside RAW though, there is a Steward career. It might not be on Sieghard's career exits, but it is literally his title and the mix of skills and talents make sense as things he'd pick up overseeing the Thornwood. He doesn't have the trappings either, but for that I'd argue that his one set of normal craftsmanship noble's garb and big fancy manor accomplish the same if not more in terms of status and are a lot more practical in a place like the Border Princes than two sets of best craftsmanship noble's garb (the writing kit he could just buy and since he's mostly literate now, it's a sensible purchase anyways.)
Hm... I'm not saying 'no' (it does seem very justified in-character) but I am a bit reluctant to completely short-circuit the career system.

Looking at the careers, Steward does seem explicitly designed to represent a head of household staff, rather than a local governor. If you do want a career change to represent growing into that role, how would you feel about Politician? The name makes it sound like it's for playing as Boris Johnson, but the description makes it very clear that it includes the kind of appointed official that Sieghard is, it has plenty of talky skills and it exits into Noble Lord.

Shortly after the locusts when we enacted the rationing, Ingwald was recalled to Painford to handle the bookkeeping. Sieghard brought Rike with him to Ravenskird when he first went there and put her in charge when he left with it mentioned that he'd be returning to check in and help manage things as time allows.

After that, it got a lot less explicit. The plan was to enact the same rationing in Ravenskird, so it's reasonable to say that would involve sending him back and it's also reasonable to say that Ingwald could be doing a lot of back and forth keeping track of the numbers. If he's in Painford still, then he can look after it. If not, then another one of the veteran crossbowmen can keep things under control while Sieghard is away. Let's say Petar. Painford is fairly agreeable so I don't forsee there being an issue with that during Sieghard's hopefully brief absence.
Ah, if I've just misremembered where Ingwald is then that's fine. So Ingwald's in charge and Sieghard's not taking anyone with him south?