1. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIX: The Potted Plant Is Starting To Look Reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Uh, Horses? Hippos? Cows are capable of doing so but often choose not to. Giraffes sometimes. Zebras, apparently, and many birds. Its not a huge list, but its not some unheard of thing. I don't understand why you find the idea so offensive.
    I've been to zoos. I've seen animals asleep. They don't sleep with their heads against windows. Also, you seem to have missed the "and fits the other clues". Because, news flash, a horse ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    And also, "Rich is drawing eyes to signify that there are in fact no eyes." is going to be a non-starter argument for me no matter how you phrase it.
    You are going to be mightily offended, then by this image showing a fish with curved lines instead of eyes to indicate sleep. Turns out, fish don't have eyelids. so better rush over there and tell them that they are doing comic shorthand wrong, and that you insist that they must remain anatomically correct, rather than use the standard shorthand to indicate sleep by having curved lines instead of eyes.

Because no matter how much you attempt to mischaracterise my argument, "those aint' his eyes, that's just emoting shorthand to communicate he is asleep" is not some outlandish idea. It is extremely common way of indicating sleep even in creatures who do not in fact close their eyes to sleep.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2023-12-02 at 07:10 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est