Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Tubercular Ox
I think Xykon is going to order the Monster in the Dark to reveal itself and attack the party, but O-Chul is going to be in the party, so it's going to reveal itself and use its previously-established lightest hit on one of the characters. This would show us how it generated the big hit.
If, and only if, said "generation" isn't just, you know, hitting. However that's actually not my big objection here.

200 gold says the described sequence of events--Xykon sees a party that includes O-Chul, Xykon orders the creature in the darkness to attack it, and the creature in the darkness actually bothers with an attempt at literal compliance rather than either refusing or playing an impromptu game of who can hit the hardest with Xykon--is not going to happen.
My biggest issue w this idea is that it prioritises The Clues as meaningful Ends in their own way rather than fun details. the closer to the story the climax is, the less space (emotionally or chronologically) there is to take a pause and go "hey readers, do you remember this detail of a clue from 4 books ago? we're going to explicitly draw attention to make sure you see everything that was going on behind the curtain back then" for something as secondary to a secondary character as The Guessing Game. we may see high strength on display, or telekinesis, or something that can explain it, but if the term "lightest hit" (or other overt callback) came up I'd be sincerely surprised.

I believe the reveal of the monster is going to give us a lot of answers to mysteries, but I don't think there's any reason to assume anything will get directly called attention to, except probably the Escape scene since that one was the most plot relevant and also the one that's going to be the biggest mystery for someone who doesn't know D&D and can't assume things happen just bc the monster is very strong (tower scene, earthquake, etc)

I feel a lil like a killjoy when I make a post thats thrust is "the guessing game isn't that important to order of the stick as a story" in the guessing game thread... but I do think it's important to keep in mind w all these sorta things! if for no other reason than to minimize the chances of disappointment I suppose