1. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Negative LA-Assignment : Resurrection, but no diamond here

"What's that you said? I already made a joke about slight variations of existing animals and you're tired of having a regular animal from another plane with little to no unique powers? Well too bad! Have a howling devil-cow!"

The Gathra comes from the Nine Hells. It's a cow with both horns and tusks. That's great. Except it's not.
    It blurs the line between Animals and Magical Beasts, being extremely similar to the Fhorge in its concept, being simply a herd animal from another plane, but bigger, meaner and somehow becoming a predator (I guess Outer Planes don't need herbivores when they have a constant influx of petitioners and Outsiders to kickstart the food chain). The only difference between the two is the fact that the Gathra has some DR and a mind-affecting cry, which I guess is enough to make it depart from the Animal type.

- 9 RHD Large Extraplanar Magical Beast
    - +16 Str, -2 Dex, +16 Con, -6 Int, +6 Wis, +6 Cha, +14 natural armor. Fhorge-tier, but with more Charisma, because it has...
    - ... a terrifying Bellow. It's just Fear 3/day as an SLA, except for some reason its DC is that of a 2nd level spell.
    - One primary Gore, two secondary hooves, Trample, DR 10/Magic and Silver.
    - Outsider traits... Wait, what? It's definitely a mistake, but it's nice to see the design process. I guess they changed it to Magical Beast when someone pointed out that Outsiders cannot be predators since they don't need to eat.

The DR is decent, the NA is excellent, and having three attacks with full BAB is better than one, but having a 2nd level SLA will very rarely be of any relevance. Strong 7 RHD, maybe even 8 in unoptimized games, and DLA-1.

It's hard to say if it's a mistake or not, but the Gathra is said to be used as a mount by demons, not devils. Since Avernus is the main battlefield for the Blood War, it's actually quite logical that invading demons would try to use creatures from the Hells against their opponents.
    After the Fossergrim last week, we continue with creatures that wouldn't last long if Aquatic had its 3.5 meaning : the underground-dwelling (Aquatic) giant, the Bog Giant!
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2023-12-18 at 07:34 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.