Ah yeah, I spent a while figuring out what I wanted to do and going between ideas, and then I forgot about this for a while.

Build-wise, I've ended up dropping the idea of a type/stat ace, because I decided I wanted to keep my options open team-wise, so instead I've gone Commander/Duelist, going into both enough to grab Battle Conductor and Directed Focus to make the two halves play nicer together - it means that my general buffing order can apply to more than just me while also playing into my personal Momentum stuff. He ended up with one or two status moves too, just in case reducing Defence is more useful than +Accuracy to a load of people.

When it comes to the Pokemon team, I've gone local instead. Figuring that Tobias was originally from Rustburo City, and that we're somewhere around Mauville, I took Pokemon that live along that way, so Tobias has a Nincada, because I like both Shedinja (Speed Boost looks kinda fun, particularly with trainers having access to After You and this game making them use Pokemon speed) and Shedinja and that whole weird setup feels like it'd be better being focused a starter rather than a random Nincada I might find, and a Corphish (apparently you can fish one up in 117) because I like that little guy and he looks like a fun brawler.

That said, I'm considering spending a load of his starting cash to start with a Good Rod (and maybe swapping a novice skill to Athletics accordingly) to ensure we can get any Water types we need in which case my second would be...something else. There's a few other options I'm considering.

Haven't made the changeover yet (figured I'd see if either of you had an opinion about that), but here's Tobias. Only thing left to do mechanically is spend his money and decide that rod thing, I think, although I also have some naming to do.