Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
If you wanna play this by the rules, Rules Compendium says "A spellcasting creature that lacks hands or arms can provide any somatic component a spell might require by moving its body." claws instead of fingers are fine. Not moving your body, and having spells shoot from the eyes, is strange.
At question is not the fact that there's an "S" in the spell requirements list, but that the text actually says that the ray "srpings from your hand". To be perfectly honest, if I was GMing D&D, I'd allow ray type spells to be fired from whatever body part the caster wanted, as long as they meet the other requirements for casting the spell. At the end of the day, that's a purely cosmetic difference and I don't care about it one bit.

I doubt Rich does either.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendelkin View Post
I thought that was Eugene's comment on the powers of a Weapon of Legacy being connected to emotion, rather than wizardly construction of spells. I'm not sure whether he even knows the sword has been reforged with starmetal; his only concession to the importance of the greenhilt sword to his family seems to have been that he didn't just dump or destroy it after Horace passed away.
Yeah. My assumption is that the only effect from the starmetal itself is the +5 bonus, and the occasional green glow that does extra damage to undead. The other effects (like healing up Roy, and returning to his hand), are from it being a Weapon of Legacy.