Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
I did the math but swapped my numbers before posting. Dang, and I convinced myself it was just unlikely enough to make that comparison.

Being "about as likely" still makes my point, I think.
Yeah. I think that's certainly close enough that the point is valid.

I'm still not even sure where the whole "roll 90 heads out of 100 coin tosses" bit came from though, but it seemed like a bit of hyperbole in the first place. We're maybe talking odds a bit, but really about behavior patterns by the author (I guess? Kinda lost track honestly). Is he more likely to ignore the statistical damage of two hits of the spell at the spell level required to cast two polar ray spells using the occular feat? Or is he more likely to ignore the spell description which says it's a single beam and emanates from the hands? Do we look through the comic and note that he's usually consistent with spell effects and use? Or do we look through the comic and note that when metamagic feats are used, they are often stated as being used when casting the spell?

I guess techinically both are things that can fall into the "Cool over rules" category. Personally? Either could be the case. Not really important actually. Calder cast a cold based ray spell, and hit V with it. V was badly damaged, but survived. Done. Maybe the details will be clarified in future strips. Maybe not. I'm not sure how much it matters either way. Certianly not enough to insist that it must be one and not the other. I tend towards "he just took artistic license with an otherwise standard casting of the spell" due to it being a simpler explanation, but I'd certainly have zero problems if the next page has Calder complaining that "I used two metamagic enhanced 8th level spells and the wizard is still alive. Bah!".