1. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Xmas tree magic items was never the problem and attunement hurts the game

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    You'll not get disagreement from me on that one. (Though maybe sentient weapons ought to require attunement? Seems thematically appropriate). Artifacts and legendaries might also be a good case for attunement.
    Nods. To put a label on it, even for warriors, legendary weapons and armor could be appropriate for attunement. It is relevant as to what weapons & armor are valid to be called legendary. For example, while I agree +3 plate mail is significantly powerful, subjectively it doesn't scream legendary to me to require attunement. Since in this hypothetical we're redesigning might as well go all in redesigning rarity status. I agree with the point above that's there's no significant difference between a cloak of protection and ring of protection despite their difference in rarity.

It is also important to acknowledge that while warriors could use some love in buffing it's important not to go overboard and give them everything all the POWR! Similar to how nerfing spellcasters a little isn't outrageous, but don't make them The Suck now no one wants to play one.

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I'm not sure that argument can't be made for just about any attunement item. "It's pointlessly punitive to X characters." A +1 shield goes a long way towards breaking bounded accuracy, which is a concern in a lot of the design of the game.

That said, I'm not complaining that they don't require attunement. It's just a point of interest.
    This can be addressed by no magic item exists without DM approval. Meaning, this is where the DMG should offer helpful advice that even though a +1 shield doesn't need attuning the DM should not be handing them out like candy. Rarity and bounded accuracy still matter. It is a boon to warriors, but the DMG should instruct on the impact the magic item will have on the game anyway. It is a nice gift for the warrior. Here is how it affects the game.
    Last edited by Pex; 2024-02-21 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.