Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Then you're ethically consistent and i have no objection!

I would say humans are arguably worse, since the gods don't actively take the soul and instead just let it feed them in its own time of seemingly natural decay, whereas humans cull the livestock as needed. Also, if we want to use OotS as a measure (which i generally have no objection to because minute-to-minute exacting rules adherence aside, it's written by someone who authored D&D sourcebooks and thus is likely quite in tune with what is probably the case), then we also know that generally all creatures, even those who get to Good afterlives, prefer life to the afterlife. So early culling of life vs natural absorption of afterlife doesn't carry any issues for me.
In the Forgotten Realms at least, if the FR wiki is accurate, the process of becoming a petitioner isn't automatic. You don't naturally go to the Outerplanes, either. There's a specific realm of the dead and the gods have worked out a system to claim the souls of their worshipers with very lax definitions of "worshiper" with it being noted than many gods will go out of their way to find loopholes in order to get a claim on souls that would otherwise go unclaimed or "rightfully belong" to another god.

the gods or their representatives then have to physically travel to the Fuge Plane and manually transport the souls they've claimed to their respective planes/god realms where the soul in question is first transformed into a petitioner.

It's apparently specifically the process of becoming a petitioner that starts the process of "soul decay" given that being a petitioner is what causes you to unable to be resurrected after a certain amount of time has passed. And given that you don't automatically become a petitioner, that mans that it's not a natural process but something that the gods are doing on purpose.

Now that's only one setting, of course, but...