Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
A magic lantern is not a worn item, any more than a kobold is. The lantern does not grant a bonus to the creature, it simply does what it does and so does the kobold.
I still thiink you are confusing the issue by introducing additional elements that are not relevant. Whether it's an item or a person, or whether it's worn or held, makes zero difference. What matters is the source and target of the spell effect. The source of the effect cannot be in an AMF. The target of the effect cannot be in an AMF.

If it was a magic ring that continously glowed instead of a lantern, it would also provide light if you pushed the hand that wore it outside of an AMF. Worn or held isn't the issue.

The relevance for a sentient being bieng in or out of an AMF, is that casting or activating magic is assumed to come "from the person taking the action", so if any part of that person is inside an AMF, they cannot activate magic items or cast spells. If you are in an AMF, and you extend your fireball wand outside the AMF, you can't actually activate the wand. However, if the same wand generates a continuous effect of some kind, that effect would occur once the wand is physically outside the AMF.

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
Imagine if the Greenhilt Sword was a flaming weapon. Calder inside the field and holding the sword outside would be Calder holding a flaming weapon. If the weapon was inside the field and not Calder, it would be a Masterwork Weapon. If even the pommel is inside the AMF, the magic of the sword is off.
I would follow the same rule as stated above. If the weapon flaming is a continous and normal condition for the item, then it's going to do flaming damage (though I'd argue any to-hit bonuses on the weapon would still not work since that's affecting the wielder, who is inside the AMF). Most flaming weapons do have to be activated though, but I suppose if you activated your flaming weapon, then got hit with an AMF, it would start flaming again once outside the AMF. That's kind of an interesting edge case, but I'd probably allow it if I were running the game.

Again though, the general rule is that both the source and target of the entire magic effect must be outside of the AMF for it to work. Any magic effect that requires activation makes the activating party part of the "source" of the magic. Any effect that affects a persons abilities in any way makes that person part of the "target" for the effect (so things like AC boosts, to-hit boosts, etc only work if the target is not in the AMF).

In the case of Roy calling his sword back to him, if both the sword and Roy are outside the AMF, then it should work (target and source both meet the requirements). It does not matter at all where Calder is in relation to any of this, whether he's holding or wearing the sword, or whether the sword is or is not sentient. None of that matters. Only whether both the sword and Roy are outside the AMF matters.