Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
I agree with you that most people don't believe that. But just because the implication isn't intended doesn't mean it's nonexistent, you know? The nature of communication is such that what we mean isn't exactly the same as what we say, which isn't exactly the same as what other people hear.
Yes, you're right. My argument isn't that people don't intend the implication. It's that such an implication doesn't exist. I understand that you're saying people believe something like this:

1. If being trans isn't a choice, then it's okay to be trans.
  2. Therefore, if being trans is a choice, then it's not okay to be trans.

But the conclusion—the implication—doesn't follow from the premise.

Lemme know if I've misunderstood you. Maybe you mean a different argument. :O

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
To be clear, I don't necessarily mean to argue that the born-this-way narrative is bad: simplifications have their uses, and there are trans people out there who feel it matches their personal experience. I just think that it's worth being aware of the flaws and side effects, and one of those side effects is some trans people will feel alienated rather than supported - Talakeal is not the only one I've heard talk about this.
For sure. There's a variety of trans origin stories in the community. The born this way story isn't prioritized at all. If Talakeal wants support, she's got it.

Outside of the community? Like, the overwhelmingly cis commenters of Yahoo? Yeah, they're gonna have a more simplified understanding of gender. But I don't think the Yahoo comments section is where people go for support.