Hi Tawmis!

I hope this is okay to request. It's not quite for D&D but my friend and I doing a written (ongoing) roleplay loosely based off BG3. So we've got our own characters set etc. But I also would like to have this character ready to be an actual playable D&D character one day.

This is what I have so far on the character (as well as a little backstory that I started but then don't quite know how to end it...)

Name: Drystan
Race: Tiefling (Blue-skinned)
Class: Necromancer Wizard
Sexuality: Gay (I don't know if that needs to be taken into consideration or not).
Alignment: Neutral good, I guess? He's a good boy.
Appearance: Black hair, deep green-blue eyes. Faintest hint of freckles.
Personality: Introverted. Quiet. More observant and a listener than he is a talker. He could stand to loosen up a little bit. People make jokes and he's yet to laugh. He's not a 'woe it is to be me' kind of character BUT he does suffer from nightmares that he doesn't share unless he absolutely has to (ie, if he's accidentally woken someone up from screaming out into the dead of the night). He's a quiet and gentle soul.

The basis of the idea:
Drystan was young and curious, but also old enough to know he messed up something bad.
Dabbled in Necromancy.
Ritual gone wrong.
Ended up killing his family accidentally (Parents and a younger sister).

I started writing up the backstory but then got stuck after the ritual gone wrong...

If you could help - I would absolutely appreciate it! If you need to change things around, please do so! I leave it in your hands...

Here's what I have so far:

Losing his sister to an illness that not even the local cleric could heal, took a devastating blow on the little humble family. It was something none of them ever recovered from. They made daily visits to her grave but it never filled the whole in their hearts. And because of her loss, they became distant with each other. Not out of disrespect, it just organically happened. They were all too deep in grief, unable to help each other through their grief.

Or rather, his parents were too deep in their grief to realise that Drystan needed consolation too.

But also, being the oldest, Drystan always felt the need to constantly be the one to look after everyone. So he took it upon himself to try and remedy this situation.

Drystan was barely home nowadays. He found a project to quietly work on, and took to nearby and surrounding libraries for particular books. Transcribing from book to ink and parchment, Drystan came back home to try something new. He put the idea to his parents… to resurrect their daughter - his sister - through a ritual. They were hesitant at first. This sort of stuff is...taboo. But grief makes people do desperate things.

Drystan began the ritual….Thinking it worked when there was a flash of blue light… and the sound of gasping breathing before it all went silent and Drystan opened his eyes to find the mutilated bodies of his parents on the floor. (Think, kinda like the Mummy when Imhotep sucked those adventurer dudes dry).

He lead them to their deaths. By his own hand.

He didn’t know how this happened. He followed the ritual step by step. He did everything right!
He just didn’t understand…

Burying his parents next to his sisters grave, he burnt down his family home so all that was left was just ruins of what was once a humble but loving home, and he parted ways with the living so to speak.

It took a while for him to find his feet. Not only learning that Necromancy was considered quite a taboo subject of learning, but also being a Tiefling isn’t helping either. He was on his own.

(And this was the other bit that I sort of was trying to rework because it felt super weak) :

The next few years were the hardest. Having to bury his parents, burn down his home...and move on.

It was during these years that he continued his personal studies in Necromancy, not wanting to them to have died in vain by his own hands… and also hoping to find some sort of ritual or rune or tablet that will allow him to bring them back from the dead. There HAS to be a way. There just has to be.

Though, now, he avoids going back home, back to the cemetery. He can cast speak with the dead...He has the option too. But he’s now too scared to bring himself to speak with his parents. Beg them for forgiveness.

For now, he continues his studies on the bodies of dead animals and cadavers that have been given to him solely on research purposes only.

That was until his local source of bodies had been burnt down to a crisp during a beastly attack. He never found out what. He just fled and found himself on the outskirts of the city. Hiding his horns beneath his cape and laying low for now.