Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
Any Sorcerer with 2-6 levels of Tempest Cleric can maximize Thunder and Lightning damage once or twice per short rest depending on whether you took 2 or 6 levels and you can use Transmuted Metamagic to change the damage from ANY spell to Thunder or Lightning so literally every damage spell can be used.
I remembered the tempest cleric shenanigans, it seems like a strong option but I forgot you could combo it with the meta magic. Limited to two types is a lot more workable than a single one. Wrath of the storm is definitely an ability to build around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukelnikov View Post
Damaging spells don't scale that much better than just upcasting 3rd lvl spells, except for Meteor Swarm at 9th lvl, so if you just wanna do good AoE damage, stacking multiple boni on your damage roll will be about as good, before character lvl 15, when you could be a Blood Cleric 1/Evoker14 and maximize your damage spells.

These are the straight bonus I can remember from a quick reminder of the subclasses names, there may be some others I don't remember:

• Artillerist Artificer, lvl 5 +1d8 damage (requires specific focus)
  • Spirits Bard, lvl 3 +1d6 damage (requires specific focus)
  • Wildfire Druid, lvl 6 +1d8 damage (fire only)
  • Draconic Sorcerer, lvl 6 +Cha to damage (1 element)
I don't know all the spells off the top of my head but I thought there were some AOE duration spells that worked with damage buffs every time they activated, but the specific spells I couldn't say without doing a bit of reading.

Unfortunately, the artillerist ability only works on artificer spells, and half caster progression really doesn't cut it imo.

Spirits bard ability is interesting, as it works on any bard spells, including magical secrets. It'd be more of a replacement for evoker I suppose as its relatively high but the damage boost comes online earlier, but there'd be a lot less options than the evoker would have.

Wildfire druid and dragon sorc are fine but only one type is annoying. However, combining draconic sorc with lightning as the chosen element with the above post's suggestion of storm cleric could be interesting