Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
PT Barnum developed that business model: there's a sucker born every minute.
Well... darnit. Now I've got the Killer Klowns song in my head. Thanks... er... alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
As someone from neither USA or UK, I always find this US idea that food in the UK is bad, bland or boring a bit strange.

Just like USA, UK is a multi-cultural society. Borrowed cuisines like Indian are as much a part of UK cuisine as Mexican is a part of US cuisine. English people regularly consume dishes from all over the world, just like Americans. If you are talking about cuisines that are completely locally developed (rather than borrowed or adapted from somewhere else) I would have thought the USA is scaping the barrel as much as UK. In terms of what English people regularly eat, it includes all sorts of international foods (chinese dishes, sushi, pizza etc) just like USA.
Right.. But given US historical origins and whatnot, we tend to associate the concept of "food from the UK" as all the boring staple kind of stuff that we don't associate with the broader cultural cuisine that both countries actually eat. So to us, Indian food is Inidan food. Asian food is Asian food. French, Italian, Persian/ME, African, etc... all associated with those other regions/countries.

Which, when we eliminate all of those, leaves us with what's left. Which is what we think of as "UK/British food". So.... Um.... stew? Various varieties of porridge? Totally not fair at all, but there you have it. And to be even less fair, we tend to zero in on the british even more for mediocrity by associating things like shepherd's pie and bangers and mash with Irish, and heck... even the Scottish get haggis, which at least checks the "exotic" box.

So yeah. Fair or not, anything boring and bland that we eat, we just kinda assume came to us from England. Just another in a long list of reasons to give ol King George the boot, I guess. Heck. We don't even give the English credit for our beer (and that's kinda sad given the origin and state of traditional US domestic beer, so that might actually be a positive for the UK, in a backhanded way, come to think of it).