Quote Originally Posted by GeneralVryth View Post
You can't re-design for the 5MWD or you screw all long rest classes when you do end up with a long day, and basically guarantee you only get 5MWDs, which just leads to a more bland game. Also, 5MWDs are one of those things that self propagate, if intelligent players believe they can get away with it, they will, if they they believe that it's going to be a long day then they act like it even if it ends up being a 5MWD. The better option is a lot of what is happening in 5.5. Reducing the ability to rapidly burn resources (Paladins only being able to smite once a round, which got a lot of hate on here when proposed) and ways for short rest classes to quickly get back resources so they fair better in short work days.
My preferred solution here is for all classes to be short rest or even encounter-based. That way there would be no pressure on the DM to run 7 medium encounters in order to drain the characters for the big encounter.

Rogues are an interesting beast. I haven't played one in a sit down game, my experience with them is mostly Solasta, BG3, and my own experimentations. They seem to preform really well when they can get advantage (which they can pretty easily generate through bonus action hiding in the video games), so I wonder how much them feeling bad is them either being played badly, or just having gaining advantage be much harder in a sit down game.

That thought leads nicely in to why Extra Attack feels so important. In general most attacks are going to be made with a 40% to 80%? hit chance? If you get 2 rolls of the dice (Extra Attack sans Adv., or one attack with Adv.), that's 64% to 96% chance of doing damage with a smaller chance of doing double damage with Extra Attack. Which means most turns the martial will have done something if they took the attack action. Which leads to another thought, seeing more (or even some, since I can't think of any non-spell example) abilities that can be used on a miss or near miss attack. They wouldn't add to peak output in a turn, but they reduce the odds of the turn overall being wasted. These would likely slot in nicely for the Fighter (at least if you assume their flavor as weapon master), but can easily make sense to some varying degree on most martials.
Right; two attacks is equal to one adv attack when it comes to "chance to hit at least once." And the rogue can even spend a bonus action to gain advantage.

But that means
- they don't get to use their bonus action for Cunning Action, which is the basis of their defense, mobility...like the entire rest of their class
- they need to spend their action and bonus just to "break even" with a class that has extra attack
- and in reality, it's not even. Extra attack is pretty likely to give two hits, and with something like ss or gwm, either hit is going to be pretty close to what sa is giving

In my mind, the final word on rogues is the only thing they bring to combat is single target damage. They don't have any support options, they can't tank, they can't heal, they can't AoE, they can't CC. And the damage they do bring is mediocre. That's not a good place to be.

As a final note, full casters don't stack nearly as well as you would think with multi-classing. In practice the combined caster level for spell slots when multi-classing is actually a nerf on full casters. Without proper upcasting those additional higher level slots you don't have spells for aren't nearly as powerful as the many additional lower level slots you would logically get if you didn't have that multi-classing mechanic.
I really struggle to call something a nerf when the comparison point is something you've entire made up. Casters get something by taking levels in another casting class. Martials get nothing. That's what matters.