View Single Post

Thread: Counterspelled Booming Blade

1. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Counterspelled Booming Blade

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    What allows you to make a melee attack is the basic rules. Anyone can take a dagger and make a melee attack. I think the point I was trying to make sailed past you on that one.
    1.You don't need to be casting a spell to make a melee attack.
    2. If order for a given melee attack to get the magical rider on it, you have to cast one of those two cantrips.

Not that hard to parse.

Again, the spells are badly written.

Interestingly, if your PC has a butter knife worth at least one silver piece - as it is written now - and you have that cantrip, you can use that improvised weapon to make this work. Great way to ruin a dinner party.
    In the basic rules, what allows you to make a melee attack is taking the Attack Action (or other bonus actions/reactions that allow such). Anyone can make a melee attack, but not if they choose to take the Dodge Action, for instance. But the person who used Booming Blade did not take the Attack Action, but the Cast a Spell Action. Ordinarily, you can't take the Cast a Spell Action and also make a melee weapon attack on the same Action, unless the spell says so. But if you take the Cast a Spell Action and the spell gets cancelled...

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why? Those of us on the side of the argument that think magical fire and mundane fire aren't identical, have no reason to conclude that being underwater affects them both identically.
    Sure, and nothing stops you from running it like this at your table. But there is nothing in RAW that determines it to be like this. And the fact that there are rules that say they work differently in a specific environment (the vacuum of Spelljammer Wildspace) does not allow you to conclude that they also work differently in an entirely different environment, specially when there are rules about those other environments, in the core book none the less, that don't mention such differences.

And I'd really like someone to address my argument about Lesser Restoration and Blinding Smite, and if you agree that Lesser Restoration indeed cures the Blindness of the Blinding Smite even without addressing the spell specifically why does the Tidal Wave extinguishing unprotected flames does not extinguish the unprotected flames of Wall of Fire, just because it does not address the spell specifically.

Perhaps relevant to this discussion: Jeremy Crawford has actually stated that Disintegrate works on Forcecage, even if neither Forcecage or Disintegrate mention each other directly.

This thread has been very informative for me, and has led me to realize that a lot of assumptions I had about the game have no basis in the RAW. Disintegrate not working on a Force Cage was one of them, for instance.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2024-04-01 at 07:56 AM.