Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
From the locals? Oh my, no. It was the signs, my friend. The signs!

We drive in from New Mexico (which really is a land of enchantment, just gorgeous landscapes. Unlike Arizona, which had nothing. Glad they got the Grand Canyon because they got shafted otherwise). Going across the top hat, so not much time spent in the state. We get in, and the very first billboard has, in enormous letters, "Welcome to Texas. YOU'RE NOW A FELON". Yeah, i realize it was about edibles vis a vis NM, but still, that's a hell of a welcome. Next sign, a couple minutes in, was for the Texas Welcome Center. 173 miles. Fun fact, I-40 through Texas is only 177 miles. The welcome center was on the way out! Welcome to Texas, now leave! But that's nothing compared to the homegrown business. Buc-ee's famously ha billboards far from rhe actual location. We're in Texas, home of Buc-ee's! How far could it possible be? The billboard helpfully told us. A hundred miles? Two hundred? Four? Oh my sweet idealistic reader, the billboard simply read "Buc-ee's 1,092 miles". ELEVEN HUNDRED MILES! We actually saw it the next night, going from the southwest corner to the northeast corner, the worst possible way to cross the state. Not only was thus Buc-ee's in Tennessee, it was on the farthest corner of Tennessee it could have been! Texas not only said "if you want our gas station, go to Tennessee", they also engineered it so there was a damned mountain range between us and Texas! How petty can you be?

But, like i said, it was good for a lot of laughs. And also, i kind of loved that drive, because the vast, vast majority of it was just massive windfarms, as far as the eye could see. Even farther, really. Disappearing into the fog miles off. Really neat visual. And most importantly, always remember: welcome to Texas, you're now a felon.
You're in Texas. Driving down a straight highway on endless flat land. If not for the billboards, there would be nothing to see (ok, windmills and cows excepted).

How many billboards in other states do you remember with this much detail?

And for the record. Both Arizona and New Mexico are pretty much "those two states you drive through between California and Texas". Though, to be fair, so much of Texas is *also* "that part of Texas you drive through to get to the good parts of Texas", so there's that too.