Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
When I look at the Jedi, I see a bunch of guys with sticks up their butts, a group who aspires to be the villains from Equilibrium.
You're supposed to, at some level. All of SW is aimed at a target audience that is ripe for "rebellious youth". Easiest way to make us identify with Anakin, or young Obi-won (and certainly Luke) is to present them as characters shackled by the unfair bindings of forces beyond their control.

From my understanding of the Jedi philosophy, I imagine their response to slavery would be "Slavery is bad, but trying to end the practice would be worse. Peace is most important. The best course of action for the slaves is to learn to be satisfied with their lot in life and give up their desires for freedom, and just hope that one day their masters also become enlightened enough to free them of their own accord."

Whereas the Sith I can actively see leading a slave revolt or a revolution against a tyrranical government. Afterall, the Sith code ends with "..my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."
I think there may be a little Prime Directive, but also the slippery slope issue, combining with the fact that there are only a few thousand (10?) active Jedi, preventing the Order from ending every injustice on every planet every where. Even if the number is 10,000...are all of those "field Knights"?

But still, whenever I play a Star Wars RPG, I find it far easier to play a passionate rebel who follows the Sith philosophy than that of the Jedi. Combine that with the fact that the Sith have a cool edgy look to them compared to the Jedi's ascetic robes, and its a no brainer.
Do you generally play the rebel that wants to overthrow the current regime in order to implement your own tyrannical and monolithic rule? The chains the Sith want to break? Those are things like social norms that keep "good" people from crushing those weaker than themselves, or limitations on their own actions like silly laws or ruling bodies.

I buy cynicism as suggesting that much of the Order is flawed or "not good" depending on world view, but realism dictates even that means the Sith are "way worse than not good".

- M