View Single Post

Thread: Star Wars: The Acolyte official trailer

1. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Acolyte official trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Isn't that what makes them fun?

Is it known how long it generally takes for a Padawan to become a Knight and then a Knight to become a Master?

My perception is that we'd be years and then decades...is that accurate?

If so, I still land where I was. If that is just wrong, and Knights have become Masters within a shorter time frame...given battlefield promotion, I will capitulate. After all, I'm on record saying he is a top warrior...

- M
    There are no specific rules as far as I'm aware because it's usually down to the individual and their abilities but we can use a rule of thumb. Younglings typically become padawans around fourteen years old if we are to believe the precedent set by the Jedi we know about, for example, while Obi-Wan was still a padawan at twenty five and was promoted to Jedi Knight because he had defeated Darth Maul and couldn't take on a padawan while he was still one himself. The Council bent the rules for Obi-Wan, promoting him without requiring he complete the Jedi Trials, so it's possible if not likely he was young for a Jedi Knight.

We don't really know the full ins and outs with regard to how you become a Jedi Master but we do know of three ways. One is to be given a seat to the Council, which is how Mace Windu and Obi-Wan were promoted to Jedi Master. Another is to successfully train a padawan to knighthood, which is what is apparently the most common way. The third way we know about was to "gain recognition for their service to the Republic".

Ironically enough, if you do indeed become a Jedi Master after successfully training a padawan to knighthood, it's possible the Jedi Council owed Anakin a promotion to Jedi Master the moment Mace Windu offered Ahsoka her knighthood (although, let's be real, he was just covering his butt since he was the most vocal about surrendering Ahsoka to the Republic for execution).

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    By your own analogy, Anakin is someone who just finished boot camp three years ago and is suddenly being appointed to the Joint Chiefs. Except it's not by merit, it's by political appointment. Promotion is ridiculous for this. Being placed on the Joint Chiefs is ridiculous enough, which Anakin should damned well recognize, but he's blinded by his own ideals of forcing people to do what he thinks is right, so he is just fine with being placed in higher position of power.

Sure, he performed the work of a general for three years, as did literally every other Jedi knight. I'm sorry, but claiming he should be promoted for doing the same job everyone else did falls flat for me, unless you want to claim that all Jedi knights should have been made Masters.

Anakin gave his life to the Order? Yay! So did every other Jedi! Who the hell cares how many years he served, how many years he was a general? It's always going to be exactly as much, if not less, than every other Jedi.
    Well now that you mention it, what would be wrong with promoting the Jedi Knights that survived the war and served the Republic faithfully throughout? You don't think surviving a galactic war deserves recognition? It would be like the scene in A New Hope, except with Jedi Knights being honoured for their service with a promotion to Jedi Master. Doesn't sound particularly unreasonable to me.

Or are you going to argue that Pong Krell or Taron Malicos were more Jedi Master material than Anakin Skywalker?

I will point out, however, that Errorname is correct. Anakin did not perform the same work as other Jedi Knights during the war. He was one of the most prolific generals of the war and his peers were Jedi Masters not Jedi Knights. In fact I don't really recall ever seeing that many Jedi Knights during the Clone Wars, but that might simply be because Jedi Masters went on the most dangerous missions during the war and that's the material the show focused on.
    Last edited by Infernally Clay; 2024-04-17 at 07:15 PM.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."