1. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 3.5: 38 pages, and I still don't know how to play D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    Q99

The spellscale ritual (races of the dragon p. 32) specifies you lose any racial traits from your precious race.

But what if your character has a template? Is it considered part of the race? Do you lose the template? Do you keep it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    A 99

The most conservative approach: you don't change the Race unless the RAW says so (AFAIR, none of templates do it)

The popular alternative approach: Race==Subtype - if you have the racial Subtype, you have the Race, if you change(/lose) it - you change(/lose?) the Race. But this approach is problematic for Races which don't have their "own" racial Subtype (like Lizardfolk have only "Reptilian"), or too different without having the distinct Subtype (Avariel and Drow are both "Elf"); IIRR, Spellscale got only "Dragonblood"...
    My question was really poorly written. Let me be clearer. (My apoligies to ShurikVch)

Q99bis Are inherited templates part of your race?

Example : If your character has a inherited template and undergo the Rite of rebirth or the Rite of Spellscale, does your character keeps his inherited template or is an inherited template considered part of your original race and you lose it in the process of your race swapping via any of the Rite cited earlier?
    Last edited by Condé; 2024-04-21 at 09:47 AM.