Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
Not sure if 2024/D&Done will fix any of this.
I've been touching on these piecemeal but here are all the buffs 2024 Rogue will be getting (including hidden ones I was able to notice.)

Spoiler
Show
1) Background / Level 1 feat - these range from generally useful (e.g. Any rogue can benefit from Lucky, while Skilled can bump your Rogue from 7 proficiencies to 10 if you need them to cover a lot of roles) to ones that have specific synergy with your subclass (Lightly Armored for shields on your Swashbuckler, Alert on your Assassin, Magic Initiate on your Arcane Trickster etc.)

2) Whip proficiency - this is now built in, giving them a melee option that is a little easier for delivering melee sneak attacks (also, see below.)

3) Weapon Mastery - Rogue doesn't exactly have a ton of viable options here given their SA restrictions, but there are a few standouts:

Nick (Dagger/Scimitar): this lets rogues TWF without giving up Cunning Action anymore, removing the need for them to choose between attacking twice and everything else.
Vex (Rapier/Shortsword/Shortbow/Dart): If you're relying on Hide or Steady Aim to get advantage, these weapon types will free up your bonus action for something else on those subsequent turns.
Slow (Sling/Whip/Light Xbow): This will help the rogue kite various enemies or keep them locked into difficult terrain or allied hazards/zones.

4) Steady Aim - Not a buff for those who are allowed Tasha's Optional Features, but this is now baseline to the core rogue.

5) Cunning Strike - Subtract Xd6 SA dice then apply an effect; some of them have a saving throw (DC: 8+PB +Dex.) Disarm can screw over many humanoid enemies, Poison is a great debuff but it's a Con save, Trip is Dex vs. Prone giving your party a viable alternative to Shove, and Withdraw is situationally useful unless you have a BA dash available or allies nearby.

6) Reliable Talent - This comes online a whopping 4 levels earlier than the 2014 rogue. Enjoy!

7) Improved Cunning Strike - You can double up on CS effects, e.g. Disarm + Withdraw.

8) Devious Strikes - You get three new CS effects, Daze, Unconscious and Blind. Blind is probably the easiest to land as it's a Dex save.

9) Slippery Mind - Now gives both Wis and Cha save proficiency instead of just Wis. Add in Resilient and rogues can cover 5/6 saving throws.

10) Stroke of Luck - you turn the reroll into a natural 20 and it applies to any kind of roll now, i.e. critical hit and saving throw too, not just ability check.

Short version is that I feel WM and CS go a long way to improving how rogues feel at lower levels with their ability to contribute to combat, especially in terms of control and team tactics.

I do think they should get access to fighting styles too though, even if only via their level 1 feat. Soulknife shouldn't be the only one that can actually TWF.