Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
I think by far the biggest issue of the level 9 feature is that I literally can't conceive of myself ever using it in a real campaign. It's unbelievably antisocial.
I think a big part of the issue is that it comes so late (which is also an issue with Rogue subclasses in general).

If it was a Lv3 feature then you could potentially start a campaign with a few false identities ready to go (the DM might have to do a bit of handwaving with regard to the cost, but I'm sure most would allow it).

However, at Lv9, you're probably going to get it by levelling up - so you can't assume any pre-campaign time spent making the false identities.

Aside, there's also the strange anti-synergy between Infiltration Expertise and Imposter.

Imposter lets you mimic the speech, writing etc. of specific individuals. Okay, great. Now you just ned to use Infiltration Expertise to disguise yourself as that person and... oh, wait, you're explicitly forbidden from actually impersonating someone with it.

I mean, I guess you can just use them independently. It just seems very strange to make them completely incompatible with one another.

If you want a giggle, I suppose you could impersonate Timothy the Merchant while disguising yourself as Frederick the Nobleman, in the hope that anyone who sees through your nobleman disguise will think that Timothy is up to no good.