Spoiler: Truemane! The truest of manes. There is no truer.
Show

Hey, thanks for looking over my concept. I appreciate it. Let me reply to your concerns and, if you still feel wary about Caliban as he stands, no harm done; I'll put him in the file and think of another concept.

Re: Blindness, yeah, you're not wrong about it being a whole other thing to stack on top of everything else. But I'm fully prepared to do all the 'work' to put that extra descriptive layer on my plate rather than yours. I've always liked the Scent of Sight gift and thought it made blind garou one of the few ways to somewhat credibly play a blind PC. That, plus stepping sideways without a mirror through gifts, using that sneaky little silent strider ritual to have an ibis spirit read books out loud - all of the spirit assistance makes a blind theurge the hot pick I think. I think I'd enjoy making it jive with a world that otherwise expects a full sensory array.

As for being busy... Yeah, he's that too. But I wonder if I might have played that up a little too strongly in his description to my detriment!

blind, hairless, deformed, 100 years old, famous, respected, reviled, suicidal, as you noted. I think the list can be reasonably compacted! He's only deformed insomuch as he is hairless (I used the word 'deformed' generically, he has no physical deformations beyond being hairless); and he's only hairless and reviled in so much as he is metis. And he's only famous and respected insomuch as his starting renown will permit - I'd think of him as distinct more than those.

Really I think the clutter comes out of being a metis who was also blinded and is also remarkably old for a werewolf. I had originally planned to have him blind by metis defect, but (1) it made it less tragic to me, to have known the world as a child with eyes and then lost it before he was able to experience it, and (2) being blinded rather than born blind makes that act something that was done to him distinct from it being part of his metis deformity, which was done to him (arguably) by Gaia. I know it looks like I'm hurting my case here, stick with me!

But I made him 100 years old because that's sort of... 62 in Werewolf years. Old enough to feel the weight of the road, not so old he can't participate strongly. And being and old-man-metis means I can put all the drama and complication from that clutter - abandoned by parents, tormented by tribal curse, blinded, hated on for being metis, pining for a world he can't see, being overlooked for recognition - all of that is in his rear view mirror now. It's basically going to be my grab-bag for trying to be mentor-y to the younger wolves who are still prisoners of their rage and simple thinkers about complex problems. All that stuff is there, but I'm not expecting you to have to cycle through them as character obstacles for my sake. Caliban has run his race. He's well used to compensating for his blindness, long past craving recognition in tribe or caern, and long since forgiven those who have wronged him. In a story like this, his primary place would be tempering hotter heads, providing spiritual insight to braid with the human knowledge and lupine instinct in the pack, and perhaps at some point in the middle of the tale, dying in a blaze of glory. If I simplify him I think he'll have a shallower 'bag' to draw from; and if I make him younger, I'm not sure it maps well for me as a desperately unfortunate garou who has long come to terms with his misfortunes.

That's my case, your honor. If you still are reticent, no hard feelings; I'll pull Caliban and save him for another time, and concoct another idea.