Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
I didn't know that. That's really cool. I just assumed defensive Pokémon buffed themselves and then Baton Pass'd the stat increases to another Pokémon. Or maybe they used Toxic.
Possibly the most famous example of walling without stat boosters or residual damage was the 2014 VGC World Championship, with Se Jun Park's Pachirisu. If your opponent can't hit your damage dealers, they're in for a bad time...

And to make myself look really old while I'm at it, one of the strategies back in the Base Set days of the Trading Card Game, was one Mewtwo and 59 Psychic Energy cards. In those days, if you didn't have a Basic Pokemon in your opening hand, your opponent got to see your hand and got to draw two cards before you shuffled and redrew, repeating until you got your Basic Pokemon and could then start the game. You'd then focus on using nothing but Barrier for the rest of the game. Even though you're almost guaranteeing your opponent a massive hand advantage, there weren't many options to put cards back into the deck at the time, so if your opponent couldn't work around your defenses, winning was a matter of turns due to decking out. It was far from a perfect strategy, but it didn't take long to change the "opponent draws 2 cards" to an optional step, and looking up the rules now it's knocked down to one card with judges suggested to intervene if it happens too much.

Another nasty wall was the non-Japanese print of Slowking, where some doofus forgot to include the line, "If this card is your active pokemon," in its Pokemon Power. So, when your opponent played a Trainer Card (uh, I think they're analogous to Spell Cards in other games), there'd be a 50/75/87.5/99.93% chance of that card going to the top of your opponent's deck with no other effect, depending on how many Slowkings were in play. They'd draw that card the following turn, so their options were to succeed against the odds or just not play any Trainers if they wanted to actually get cards into their hands. And for the most part, it's somewhat important to have cards in your hand when you're playing a card game...