Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
As compared to a different martial benefit: Level 10 barbarian, Totem, gets Commune with Nature as a ritual, and that's a 5th level spell.
The power Creep in Tasha's was marked. There was a slight power creep in Xanathar's, which in some cases they could have mitigated by (for example) back filling "always known ranger spells" for the Hunter and Beast master...but they were too lazy to do that.
Quote Originally Posted by QuickLyRaiNbow View Post
I know it's not at all germane to the issue, but I do find it slightly vexing comparing assassin against subclasses published after WotC threw their hands up in the air and decided to embrace power creep with clear eyes and open hearts. Most 2014 subclass options are bad compared to 2020 or later subclasses.
Okay, I keep seeing this and it's bugging me. Say it with me: normalizing subclass design to be in line with your stronger entries isn't power creep. It's normalizing.

Soulknife/Phantom aren't power creep, because Arcane Trickster already existed.
Swarmkeeper/Fey Wanderer aren't power creep, because Gloomstalker already existed.
Rune Knight/Psi Warrior aren't power creeep, because Battle Master/Eldritch Knight already existed.
Even the Sorcerer subclasses aren't power creep, because the base Sorcerer was so constrained relative to every other caster.

There are examples of power creep in Tasha's - Cleric is by far the most egregious of that set. But Rogue and Ranger ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by tokek View Post
And yet in the context of this discussion I still think Arcane Trickster is the strongest Rogue subclass.

Soulknife is very good but on balance I think Arcane Trickster edges it.

Phantom is very thematic but pretty weak below 9th level when it feels like it actually gets a subclass
Exactly right, AT is stronger. For one thing, it can very reliably get that reaction SA thanks to Mirror Image + Sentinel. It also has more toys it can use outside of combat. And it has unique tricks all its own like being able to disarm traps and pick pockets from a distance.