1. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Players characters evading direct questions

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Are you honestly telling me that you can't tell the difference between "I am enamored of the PC's creations turning on them" and "Self-aware constructs who grow beyond their programming exist in the setting"?
    The former is a subset of the latter, but I mentioned the subset because only the subset is an example of the "high risk" elements I was talking about (and because a one sentence representation of roughly a third of a 1000odd-post thread is always going to be somewhat reductive).

Nobody is going to be upset if an NPC's creation turns on them. But when it is a PC who has spent both long- and short-term resources (XP/spells known/whatever and spell slots/mana/whatever) on their creation, the players might. You get that these things are different, right?

No player involved = no player to be upset. Is a player involved = player might get upset.

Maybe a GM who was great and communicating and reading people, and who was strongly trusted by their group, could make that fun. By your own admission, that's not you and your group.

Like I said, this seems to be such a false equivalence that I am having trouble believing it is just a miscommunication and not a deliberate attempt at a bad faith argument.
    Y'know how you've complained about people assuming you're being dishonest rather than unclear? Example from you later post:

For whatever reason, something about the way I talk means people tend to assume that I am lying rather than merely having a miscommunication.
    Maybe remember that before you jump straight to accusing people of "bad faith" rather than stepping back and thinking about how they might actually have a point?

Why does duration matter though?
    Duration doesn't matter. The distinction between being a PC's creation and being a PC matters. Enormously, and obviously.

I certainly never said I was "enamored with the player's creations turning on them", or anything of the like
    You spoke approvingly of stories where creations turn on their creators, in the context of a PC's creation not doing what they wanted - the spell was explicitly designed the way it was to facilitate such stories. You very much did say "anything like that".

EDIT: Also, what kyoryu said immediate above. They're spot on.
    Last edited by glass; 2024-05-01 at 02:38 PM.
    (He/him or they/them)