Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
True, but this is also one reason why I clearly prefer the combat in Solasta over BG3. I was actually annoyed by the incompetent spellcasting enemies in BG3 who waste their turns casting irrelevant spells. Spellcasters in Solasta actually use good spells against you.
The issue is that enemies get better spells than you and don't have to worry about having slots free later, tabletop D&D theoretically solves this with the assumption that even if pushed to absolute desperation that goblin shaman almost certainly doesn't have all their spell slots. I'd argue it's a bad solution, enemy Spellcasters should just not have regular access to spells that can drop the entire party, but it's certainly an attempt.

On the other hand I like it when the game uses it in story encounters as part of the puzzle. At least one level 3 encounter is made much easier if you successfully disrupt their spell caster's flight, because they'll take several d6 of falling damage and die a round or two later.

BG3 goes in completely the opposite direction and just let's enemies spam weaker spells. Which is better for casual players, but annoying when they're not using spells that benefit from this strategy. Honestly the only Spellcasters that were really effective were those with Command, Hold Person, Darkness, or Misty Step, otherwise it was generally the sheet number of foes the hand can throw at you.