Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
3.PF IS a class based RPG. It's kind of in the name "class." Each of the classes are a complete aesthetic on their own. They are not just a single color. You're oversimplifying the classes for the sake of your argument. Which might be how you actually see them. Though that doesn't mean you aren't. Unearthed Arcana has a generic class variant that would be more supportive of the type of character building you seem to enjoy. Just needs some adaptation.

If the player actually wants to play as a druid with monk training, that would also include the fact that they got that training and the necessary mindset to complete it. I'm not against it at all. I'm against the bleaching of what classes represent just because a player wants to powergame.
To much stress on the class itself being the persons roleplay. Feels limited. Are all monks/druids etc the same in your game or do you differentiate them at all? There's more to character identity than the class you chose to represent them within the mechanical combat system D&D emulates. My table / group enjoy having powerful characters. Nothing wrong with it, and it certainly doesn't define the character they are choosing to RP as. That would feel oddly meta like knowing your level in an abstract way.