Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
Are you, now, seriously advancing a claim that "click on the enemy" or "move out of the cloudkill" not only qualifies as an "element of physical agility" in Baldur's Gate, but is enough of one to make that much of a difference?
Absolutely.

I frequently wiped in Baldur's Gate because of aim or timing issues. I remember getting the angle on a lightning bolt wrong being a frequent killer, or to a slightly lesser extend misjudging the radius of a fireball.

Heck, simply clicking on the wrong person in combat or missing someone entirely because they were moving was a frequent problem, as was my character taking a bad path because I clicked on the wrong destination and the AI didn't opted to move my by a path I didn't want to go down.

And if you are trying to control a whole part of six characters at the same time, this issues are greatly compounded.

IMO any game that runs in real time rather than being turn-based is going to have huge elements of coordination and reflexes at play.

I also can't help but notice that the more insulting half of what you kept saying about NichG--"rather than his three specific examples"--has dropped out of your self-paraphrase now.
Ok. Now I am totally lost.

I 100% swear to Gygax that I legitimately thought the reason he was mad was because he thought I was making an deliberately false statement about his three specific examples rather than to CRPGs as a whole which is what I meant.

If that was the "insult", then I have no idea what he was mad about in the first place.

For whatever it's worth, trust me, they didn't mean anything but exactly what they said and didn't think you were saying anything but what you said.
What I said or what I meant to say?

Because, if you want to know what I meant, I was honestly trying to preemptively respond to someone using an example of like, a World of Warcraft Mythic Raid wiping despite following a strategy guide, by pointing out that, in such cases, the execution is as important as the planning as those games have large elements of physical coordination, communication, and situational awareness that are simply not present in a tabletop RPG.