Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
The good side of this is that it has really solid combat. It goes full XCOM and uses a 3d cube grid, with genuine 3d movement and rings that let you walk on walls and genuine flying enemies and so on. When the encounters really lean into this it can be fantastic, spiders coming out of the ceiling, or jumping from ledge to ledge down a cliff. Its focus on strong fundamentals over shiny gear and tweaked builds feels refreshingly old-school.

I also find something very charming about it's relatively minimal story and characterization. This is a game about going cool places, stabbing goblins, and taking their stuff, and it doesn't overcomplicate that. It's very low key, you play as some folks doing some stuff.
In this way it reminds me ALOT of the 2003 Temple of Elemental Evil game. Which (I should add) is a game that I absolutely adore and think there should be more games like it. A fantasy tactical game that faithfully adapts a classic D&D module. I'm taking a break from it before I get into earning the ironman achievement for a run. But I completed the main campaign and throne of ice on authentic difficulty with no deaths.

I don't mind your party being four people you just create. and yes, only 5 voice options does limit you a lot, but to be fair to the creators this is something that was made on a budget and the game is fully voiced and they did more work to diversify them than most modern games do (even if they end up mismatching a few subtitles here and there)