View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1301 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #441
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1301 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    If they were enjoying their afterlives they would have been growing away from their mortal experience. When the day came, would spirits evolved into a Devas even remember oaths made by their former mortal selves?

The whole point of martyrdom is self-sacrifice for a greater cause.
    That's why I suppose they need to not die of old or so. A martyr is someone who sacrifice his life, not his afterlife.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Yeah, I didn't revisit the strips before asking, but the rest of what you wrote kind of gets to how I remember it. I don't think the Sapphire Guard, Soon aside, necessarily sign their entire afterlives over to defend the Gate, which seemed to be the question at hand. It just seems like the ones who die in the throne room rise again to fight as spirits. Which would mean there isn't any scenario where the Guard is signing over their entire afterlives in defense of the gate. (I have to suspect there would be far, far more of them if that were the case, considering how long the Guard has existed and surely that many more of them have lived and died than the ones we see fighting in the throne room.)
    Yeah, this too.

I mean, the situation of Soon binding the soul of a paladin to wait eternally instead of enjoy the afterlife is absurd to me, Soon is lawful good and that action seems neutral at the very best.
    Last edited by Vikenlugaid; 2024-05-03 at 10:43 AM.