Quote Originally Posted by Nefariis View Post
I actually had Eloquence bard when I created this character originally - However, as a DM myself, I landed on that I would absolute hate a character with Silver Tongue at my table - the lowest this character could roll would be 26 (I think highest would be 47). I think it would get old after a few sessions - and as for the monstrosity Thrikeen, I just know that not everyone is comfortable with a monster at the table. I want to try not to rock the boat too much.
Yeah, I can definitely understand that at certain tables Silver Tongue would be overpowered and/or suck the fun out of social encounters because the bard is just gonna auto succeed anyway. Balancing that sort of thing as a DM is a tightrope and not wanting to force your own DM onto that tightrope is a perfectly respectable decision. I stand by unsettling words as better than cutting words though, debuffing enemy saves is just so handy.

It's been so long since I've played at a table with more conservative (in terms of preferring games with only traditional races) players that I honestly didn't even consider the fact that Thri-keen are a 4 armed psychic bug monster from another planet as a potential problem until you mentioned it. I still feel that mechanically they're an excellent choice for bard (since bards can really benefit from the extra arms and telepathy more than most other classes do) but yeah, exotic races like Thri-keen don't belong in every game. A somewhat more traditional race that might be worth consideration is the Gem Dragonborn as they also get telepathy, as well as a number of other useful unique features. But yeah nothing wrong with either half-lings or half-elves.