Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
In a printed module, there was an encounter that the PCs were supposed to lose,
Oh, I had one of those. Well, I was a player in that campaign, but it still didn't work. In my case, it ended up with a long dragged-out battle that ended up being a waste of time because the DM fiat'ed us into losing in the end.

Then there was one where my character had been possessed for a long time and the party finally found out, so this ended up in a boss fight with me against the rest of the party, and me getting a generous buff from the possessing entity. Problem is, I was the party's main damage dealer. So I won initiative, pulled an alpha strike on the first turn, and took down the others in a surprisingly quick battle; and the DM had to bring in a DMPC deus ex machina to prevent TPK.

And then there was an encounter where we had to fight our way into a heavily defended cave system, rescue an NPC held there, and fight our way back out. However, we also had two casters capable of Dimension Door, so we resolved that issue in half a round and with zero attack rolls. At least the DM had a good laugh with us about that one.