1. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I watched a YouTube video about "Legend of Zelda's worst heart pieces" and the creator's number 1 was the Don Gero's mask frog-choir in Majora's Mask. The reasons he gave convinced me that he fundamentally misunderstood the appeal of Majora's Mask.
    I haven't played MM (my loss), but to me it seems something depends on whether this frog-talking quest is central, or at least helpful, or just entirely optional.

If it's vital to finishing the game, then I can understand some frustration around it. If it just gives you a heart piece, then... suck it, "completion" isn't supposed to be easy.

Either way, I think you're quite right. It often seems to me that people who make YouTube videos commenting on popular culture are mostly motivated by "finding something to be angry about", on the basis that the more they lose it and shout at the media, the more views they get.

Only yesterday, I was watching someone else watch a video (how deep does this go? - stay tuned, not done yet) made by some YouTuber watching Scooby-Doo, the (live-action, 2002) movie. This YouTuber argued passionately that the movie wasn't funny, wasn't true to the characters and mythos of Scooby-Doo, and was particularly unfair to Scrappy.

Okay, I can see the "mythos" argument. Instead of some goon in a Halloween costume, the movie for the first time gives the team genuinely supernatural elements. (Although I'm not convinced that's so very different from some of the science-fiction BS that's been shovelled into the TV series for decades.) But for the rest, I think the reviewer is just so full of **** that he can smell it in his own nose. In particular, you can't be unfair to Scrappy-Doo. That encephalitic mutt was pure comedic poison from the moment some desperate rancid chair-warmer in ABC suggested he be added to the roster. The movie's treatment of him was blissfully cathartic.
    Last edited by veti; 2024-05-13 at 03:57 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain