1. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Completely Inconsequential Hot-Takes 2: People Take Too Long to Post New Threads

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I haven't played MM (my loss), but to me it seems something depends on whether this frog-talking quest is central, or at least helpful, or just entirely optional.

If it's vital to finishing the game, then I can understand some frustration around it. If it just gives you a heart piece, then... suck it, "completion" isn't supposed to be easy.
    Yep, entirely optional. The very first step of it (getting the mask with the finnicky Goron-rolling challenge) is necessary to get the game's Infinity+1 Sword, because you need to have 100%'ed the game's mask collection to earn it. But gathering the frogs for the heart piece is as optional as optional gets.

Either way, I think you're quite right. It often seems to me that people who make YouTube videos commenting on popular culture are mostly motivated by "finding something to be angry about"
    As opposed to us enlightened folks in this here thread

Only yesterday, I was watching someone else watch a video (how deep does this go? - stay tuned, not done yet)
    My favorite version of this recursive "ouroboros" video-watching is when I caught myself watch a video titled "Everything Wrong With 'Everything Wrong With Cabin In The Woods'". No, that's not a typo -- it's a guy who critiques Cinema Sins's videos and the laziness of their Everything Wrong With video structure. He does a pretty good job of making me like the movie, especially in this case. But back to the point: Cabin in the Woods is already a satire of horror film tropes. So technically, I was watching a critique of a critique of a critique of horror movie conventions.

And now that I've passed judgment on this video, you're now technically reading a critique of a critique of a critique of a critique of horror movie conventions

the movie for the first time gives the team genuinely supernatural elements. (Although I'm not convinced that's so very different from some of the science-fiction BS that's been shovelled into the TV series for decades.)
    Funny enough, explicitly supernatural elements have been in the franchise since at least 1988's Scooby-Doo! and the Reluctant Werewolf. Synopsis: Actual Freaking Dracula turns Shaggy into a wolf-man because the real Wolfman can't attend Dracula's annual Wacky Racers competition. Shaggy must compete to earn his freedom. Shaggy also is established as a racing aficionado, and he has a one-off girlfriend (...?) who is never mentioned again. Scrappy is, inevitably, there. It's actually his last appearance until the 2002 movie!

Oh, how do I know that? My mom got it for me to watch when I was sick one time. It was hard to tell what was the fever and what was the actual film.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2024-05-13 at 04:18 PM.