I realized another thing one would need to do if making a change like this (that wasn’t triggered by Mystra dying again): World building. Creating spells like “Faerie’s Blessing: grants Flight and Invisibility”, that a world that had had this restriction on # of sustained spells would surely have already created. No slight to WoD d20 for not having them in their “rotes”, as the insurgence of the Supernatural is explicitly a “new” thing in that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
I mean, while I don't like how it plays, the problem it is trying to solve is obvious and it does do a really good job at that.

In 3.5e, a lot of the brokenness of casters comes from stacking spells beyond what the developers envisioned or intended. Battlefield control wizards and CoDzillas operate by combining spells in ways that effectively provide multiplicative boosts to their effectiveness - two battlefield control spells that individually just slowed enemies down but which together make enemies totally ineffectual; or a big pile of buffs that individually would have made the cleric or druid a bit better but together make them vastly stronger than the fighter.

Balancing every spell when combined with every other spell is hard, so it's much easier to just say "you only get one big spell at once."

Of course, the downside is that finding those combinations is part of the fun of the game, even if it's potentially unbalancing... and concentration blocks you from combining spells that aren't game-breaking together too, which is just annoying.
I agree wrt what makes the game fun. But then, I’m a “Johnny combo player” at heart.

Ok, dumb question: why not solve the problem of niche protection by simply removing all buff spells? Now every class needs to be self-sufficient, and provide their own means to fly, breath under water, hit things, etc. - no spells to help with any of that anymore.

Stacking BFC… is that really an issue? I mean, for the same action economy, couldn’t you stack SoD effects, or stat drain, or even stack Fireball spells, and just win by giving the enemy the “dead” condition? Heck, the übercharger could be stacking *corpses* by the time you’re stacking spells, if they had left enough pieces large enough to stack.