Quote Originally Posted by Lorddenorstrus View Post
... Kinda odd the DM wouldn't let him RR cause the dude could solve that pretty easily by just being suicidal until he dies and bam new character because that one died. I don't think I'd ever force a player to play a character that's garbage. it's unfun for everyone unless you're a sadistic DM because they can't contribute equally to the other players and usually it makes combat balance wonkier than it already can get.
It's really hard to be bad honestly. By default you're supposed to reroll when your modifiers add up to 0 or lower or if your highest score is 13. The lowest you can be using the rules in the PHB in your best stat is a +2 unmodified which is only 2 less than the best possible. On top of that, the chances of actually rolling bad AND not having to reroll is pretty low because rolling the average is a reroll. The worst roll you can have is a 14/10/10/10/10/8 with a +1 total modifier. Which tbh isn't that far from a point buy of 18/14/10/9/8/8 which has a total of +4. The most efficient point buy is a 14/14/14/14/9/8 with a +7. Your worst possible roll is +2 behind in two stats from the min/maxed point buy while being +1 ahead in one stat. In the efficient buy it's only +2 behind in 3 stats that aren't the important one while still having a +1 in at least one stat. While I can't actually comment on the commonality of rolling extremely high, I've only ever experienced or seen someone else experience a triple 15+ roll a handful of times where the other 3 scores don't cause a reroll. Most of the time I see rolls that are pretty close to a 25 point buy