Quote Originally Posted by Mravac Kid View Post
I have one extremely basic question, and it's one I can't for the life of me find in the rules (I may have flipped through the book too many times so everything's become hazy...)

I enter a room, and a fight starts. The monster attacks...
now there's 3 options:
1. I defend successfully, defeat the monster, and can choose whether to fight the next one.
2. it's a draw.
3. I lose, and can't do anything else.

The question on everyone's minds (at least those of my friends and me) is, in which circumstances (if ever) can I just walk out of that room? (This one's really important to us, as we've often found ourselves fighting unbeatable monsters)
If I win, can I move past that room into the next unexplored one, or back into a previously explored one?
If I draw, can I withdraw, or do I have to fight the monster again?
If I lose, what happens next? Can I retreat? Flee?

next question: In yesterday's game, the first room we entered on the 3rd floor was "employee exit", which immediately opens a new room, and as we played the shortest game, that was Xykon's floor. What happens if a player gets defeated down there? How does he get out, if he can't flee through the exit?
I'll help you there:
Monsters only appear when you open a new unexplored room, or when you stop in an empty room. (room without other monsters and/or players. loot is allowed).
In both cases, your movement ends for this turn. You can't move after defending/attacking.

During your movement, you can pass rooms with monsters and you don't have to fight them. (unless someone plays "failed spot check" on you, then you stop and fight). When you open a new room, you have to stop and fight.

About "emergency exit" - you can use it to escape while the dungeon is collapsing, check the FAQ here.
But this room could never be in Xykon's lair: even on the shortest game the lair is on level 4, and the lair is made up from those special nifty black "Xykon's Lair" cards. (Check the "game setup" and "endgame" sections on how to prepare the lair).

Hope that helped.