Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post
So, how would this work? You'd have your traditional skills, like climb, swim, search, spot, ect. These, since the entire system is skill-based, should be worth twice as much, maybe even worth 3 times as much as they do in the d20 D&D system. All players should get the same points or so, possibly using the same 6-stat system as the traditional system, with stats giving more skill points in skills and stuff related to the stat. Then, there's weapon ranks, each rank applying to different weapons, effectively better than Bab, but more costly. Magic ranks would work on a 1 or 2 spell per 2 ranks or so basis? And then, more spells would be available after a few lower level spells. Stuff like Sneak Attack, Evasion, and other Class-related features, could either be bought with feats, or with 5 or so points.

Of course, this is just my take on how I think it might work. I really have no clue what yours is like, or what is best, since you haven't posted anything.

No levels Eh? Then how do player progress? Or do they just keep killing the same level of monsters all the time? Or maybe, at set amounts of experience, they get skill ranks, or even they earn skill ranks directly from combat?

Your post is pretty vauge though, I mean, what are we supposed to do? Comment on why this is a good idea, or what?
It's only very loosely based on D&D. We don't even use d20 anymore (3d6), we have 8 stats, and there are a lot more skills. It's a brand new system. No feats, and 'experience' and leveling is gained through the use of skills.

You did exactly what you were supposed to do: Ask questions. That's all I wanted. I really don't know where to start with an explination of a full system in a post, as I'm kind of a scatterbrain.

Stats are devided into four catogies: Build (Including strength and fortitude, which is physical power and toughness), Grace (Agility and dexterity, a split between the full body and hands only things that require coordination), Mind (Intelligence and Wisdom. Wisdom is still perception, intelligence is the smarts.), and Charm (Presence and Appearance. Presence being the kind of feeling you give off, and appearance being the looks.)

Everything is a skill now, for one. Magic, combat, all the other stuff. The specific skill groups are: Weapon, Magic, Defense, Athletic, Perception, Interaction, Proffessional, Craft, Knowledge. There's quite a few skills in those groups, so I'll just go over the outline.

Weapon: Weapons skills, like Brawling, Swords, Blades, Maces, Throw, Crossbows. When you want to hit somebody with something other than magic, essentially. Mostly covered by the stats Dexterity and Strength for accuracy, and strength for damage (depending on the weapon type).

Magic: All the magic skills, which all can make spells out of specific mods with a skill trial. Spells are pretty modular, and thus won't be explained here. Covered by highest of Int, Wis, or Pre.

Defense: Resisting spells and dodging stuff. Also, Negate, a counterspell skill. All sorts of stats used here. Dodge is agility, Negate is Int.

Athletic: Climbing, swimming and the like. Based either of the Build stats.

Perception: Judging emotions, power levels. Being aware of things. Mostly wisdom, some Int.

Interaction: Different skills to do with interacting with people, like deceiving, seducing, and all that fun stuff. Charm stats.

Craft: Making things. Int.

Knowldge: Knowing things. Int.

Profession: Things that don't fit elsewhere. Lots of different stats for the skills in here.

My attention span is waning...