Last year I had quite a bit of fun playing my archer, Khaldrash the Mage Slayer, a fighter 4 / ranger 1 / mageslayer 6 (homebrew occult slayer). Towards the end of the campaign, our cleric of pelor had the initiate of the sun feat, which gave him scorching ray as a 2nd level cleric spell (among other things). I realized that I could cash in on this by buying some spell storing arrows, as they are very cheap for 11th level. At the end of each day, I would have the cleric cast any scorching rays he had left into the arrows.

This caused some problems however -- my archer was fairly well optimized, and I would get 4 shots a round using rapid shot (5 shots with our warlock's haste scrolls) at decently high bonuses. During one difficult fight I decided to protect our frontline melee fighters by downing a threat about to attack them. I employed my spell storing arrows, and it was then that I realized how powerful spell storing arrows are. My bow shots would do about 1d8+1d6+10 per shot, and then if the spell storing arrow hit, it would unleash a triple-ray scorching ray (from the cleric's caster level of 11), 3 rays of 4d6 fire dmg using my ranged touch attack bonus, which was very high due to me being an archer.

Essentially this meant that if all four of my attacks and subsequent rays hit, which was surprisingly likely, my average damage would be 240. Per round, at a range of up to 110 ft without taking a penalty.

Both I and my DM found this a little absurd. It would have been even more powerful if I had been using spells like hold person or touch of idiocy in the arrows. One of the players had a look in the DMG and found that, while it did not say under the spell storing enhancement whether or not you could apply this to ammunition, spell storing was only listed under melee weapons on the random qualities generator table. We were very suspicious, and I decided to not use them any more in order to preserve game balance.

So my question: can you apply the spell storing quality to ranged weapons and/or ammunition?

Does anyone have an official ruling on this? I would like to see rules citations rather than conjecture, but whatever you have will do.