Ok, let’s get a more in depth look than before…

The Bending System

Just to make sure I’m reading the rules right, a bender intending to use a form needs to make a successful bending skill check against the DC of the specific form he/she wants to use. Then, if successful, the bender resolves all other necessary rolls/calculations/what-have-you. Is this correct?

I like the flexibility of the system, and I think it conforms pretty closely to the model of the show where there are named bending forms with definite instructions but a lot of creativity and embellishment occurs. I also like the overbending option, which I think also nicely supports the way bending works in the show.

My only remaining question is whether it’s possible to combine a seed with itself. The best example of this I can think of would be combining the breaker and transport forms of the Wave Waterbending seed to replicate the massive tidal wave Katara uses in the season 2 finale. This seems like something that should be allowed, but isn’t explicitly stated.

Waterbender

The Waterbender looks pretty good. It’s a good adaptation of the original class, and I like some of the new forms. I do have a few comments:
  • I think that the Waterbending DC for evaporating/condensing water should be increased. I know that this wasn’t included in the original class, but I think it should be more difficult to draw water from the air than it should be to melt ice or freeze water. Maybe bumping the DC up to 15 would be appropriate.
  • Why did you use swim instead of the original ski movement ability for this version? I don’t necessarily object, I’m just curious as to why. I can’t think of any examples of Waterbenders swimming, but Katara uses a water-ski-like ability multiple times.
  • Is Circular Attack still a class ability? The description is still there, but it’s not on the chart.
  • Ice Shards – I like the seed, and I like the ranged option working in a cone (though perhaps adding a line option wouldn’t be a bad idea), but I think that, instead of specifying a number of shards, it should deal 2d4 base damage and can be increased by 1d4 by bumping up the DC. It makes more sense to me that a cone or line would be filled with many little shards instead of a few larger ones. I also think that the spikes option should have an option of bumping up the base damage by adding to the Waterbending DC. As it is, it kinda loses utility at higher levels.
  • Healing Water – I think you need to bump up the base DC for both Wounds and Major Wounds. A first-level Waterbender with a 16 wisdom and Skill Focus would have 4 ranks, +3 from Wisdom, and +3 from Skill Focus resulting in a total of +10, automatically healing 2d8 HP unlimited times per day. I think a DC of 10 or even 15 (healing is supposed to be pretty hard, even for Waterbenders) would be more appropriate. Likewise, I think that Major Wounds needs a major DC bump. A 10th level Waterbender would have 13 ranks, at least +4 Wisdom, +3 Skill Focus, and +2 Synergy, resulting in a +22 Waterbending modifier. That means they can regrow limbs on a roll of 8 or more. Way to easy for an ability that duplicates a 7th level spell. I’d say a DC of 40 or more would be better. Finally, I think there should be a way for Waterbenders to cure ability damage.
  • Pressure – I think this would be a wonderful place to put the Slice form.
  • Armor – I like the way Ice Armor works. The only suggestion I have would be to specify that Ice Armor, unlike other versions of armor, does not impose an armor check penalty on Waterbending checks.

Otherwise, I really like it! Nice work!

Comments on Earthbenders and general suggestions to follow at a later date.

Mephibosheth