View Single Post

Thread: Erfworld 78, Page 72

1. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 78, Page 72

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagon View Post
    If you think Wanda's evil then you must think humans are evil by nature, and only a few of them are actually above the mass...
    I'm not sure who this is directed at, as it seems both SteveMB and I are making similar points about Wanda, but for my own part...

My post did not posit that Wanda is evil (though I believe it arguable that she is), only that she is cruel, manipulative, and abusive. However, from that, I really can't see how your logic follows: Wanda is human. I (presumably) think Wanda is evil. Therefor I think most humans are evil.

For your statement above to make sense to me, I assume that you think Wanda is like 'most people.' She certainly isn't in my world. Instead, she seems to be an amalgam of the worst boss I ever had, the most abusive boyfriend I ever had, and the most callously self-centered relative I have. Most people I know aren't nearly as angry, as cynical, or as manipulative. They laugh sometimes. The smile in casual conversation and seem to value others input much of the time. They don't boil over in rage at their associates as an initial reaction to their opinion being question. They don't manipulate their romantic partners for their own professional goals without the partner's full knowledge and consent. They care about people even when it doesn't directly affect their own goals and desires.

In point of fact, I have GREAT faith in people, and think they are essentially good. That is why anamolous individuals like Wanda bother me so much, they give my species a bad name. Moreover, I have noted in other threads and in this very thread my belief in the redeemability of Wanda, which I should hope speaks to my faith in people, even people whose actions I have found to be utterly reprehensible.

It is very much the fashion to avoid passing judgement on anyone or anything, and I sense a lot of this about Wanda. 'She pet a puppy once, so she can't be bad. Nobody is 100% evil, how dare you find fault with her character or behavior?' Well, I can, and I do, and I could honestly care less about whether she pet a puppy once. If she's really not a bad person, then I want to see real effort on her part not to be bad, and honest contrition for the bad she has performed in the past. To date, she has not shown to put much effort into either. She hasn't even shown the capacity to admit error. Maybe she has it, maybe she doesn't, but I suspect we shall find out soon.
    Last edited by Girl Wonder; 2007-09-24 at 04:58 PM.